Defence Space Agency (DSA) of India
Defence Space Agency (DSA) has requests from many companies which are working to provide technology for SSA (Space Situational Awareness) solutions that are capable of identifying and tracking enemy assets and warn in case of any attack from an enemy country. DSA is also looking for technologies that can safeguard the nation’s assets from any threat in and from outer space.
Why is China a major threat to India?
According to some media reports PLA continues to acquire and develop tech. including Kinetic kill missiles, ground-based lasers also expanding its surveillance capabilities which can monitor objects in space and can hunt down other countries assets in case of any conflict. India is currently lagging behind as compared to China, now have some commissioned projects within DRDO.
About Defence Space Agency
- It is a tri-service agency of the Indian Armed Forces
- Headquarter is located in Bengaluru, Karnataka
- The DSA draws personnel from all 3 branches of Armed Forces
- It is headed by Air vice-marshal SP Dharkar.
- Its aim is to operate systems to protect the country’s interests in outer space and develop a space warfare strategy to deal with potential space wars.
Origins of Defence Space Agency
- In 2011, Naresh Chandra (retd. IAS officer) Task Force was set up by National Security Advisor Shiv Shankar Menon to review the recommendations of the Kargil Review Committee and to see what steps must be taken to strengthen the National security of the country.
- Naresh Chandra committee gave many recommendations including the creation of cyber command, an aerospace command and a special operations cyber command. All three units were planned to be tri-service command and DSA is downsized implementation of the Naresh Chandra committee.
Some Important Facts about DSA
- Anti-Satellite Weapon (ASAT) test in March month of 2019.
- IndSpaceEx was India’s first simulated space warfare exercise conducted on 25th and 26th July 2019. This exercise was conducted under the supervision of the Integrated Defence Staff.
Read More Articles of Defence Technology
Follow on Youtube – Score Better